Vitamin B1 (Thiamine)
What is it?
Vitamin B1 is water-soluble, meaning that it is soluble in water. It was discovered following work on beri-beri disease related to the husked rice diet.
What are the health benefits?
- Contributes to the normal functioning of the nervous system and psychological functions
- Contributes to normal heart function
- Contributes to normal energy metabolism
In which foods?
– Nutritional yeast (11,6 mg/100g)
– Poultry liver (0,28 mg/100g)
– Dry banana (0,18 mg/100g)
– Potato (0,07 mg/100g)
Things to know!
A deficiency in vitamin B1 is manifested by beri-beri disease. It is a nervous syndrome causing progressive paralysis.
For diets rich in carbohydrates and in case of increased energy demand, the needs increase, because the need for vitamin B1 is proportional to the carbohydrate intake.