Vitamin C (Ascorbic acid)
What is it?
Vitamin C is water-soluble, meaning that it is soluble in water. It is one of the only two vitamins (with E) that can be used directly in its ingested form.
Ascorbic acid is well known to the general public as winter approaches for its effect on the proper functioning of the immune system.
What are the health benefits?
- Reduces fatigue
- Contributes to normal energy metabolism
- Protection against oxidative stress
- Allows a good functioning of the immune system
In which foods?
– Blackcurrant (181 mg/100g)
– Raw red bell pepper (121 mg/100g)
– Kiwi (81,9 mg/100g)
– Strawberry (54 mg/100g)
– Orange (47,5 mg/100g)
Things to know!
When fruits and vegetables are not consumed in sufficient quantities, there is a risk of lack of vitamin C. This leads to a disease called scurvy. The symptoms are bruising or fatigue. In the most severe cases, this disease can be fatal.