What is it?
Selenium is a mineral that is present in trace amounts in food and that the body only needs in small quantities. Selenium is nevertheless essential to the proper functioning of the body and is involved at various levels (immunity, hair, reproduction).
What are the health benefits?
- Contributes to normal spermatogenesis
- Contributes to the maintenance of normal hair and nails
- Contributes to normal immune system function
- Contributes to normal thyroid function
- Contributes to the protection of cells against oxidative stress
In which foods?
– Brazil nuts (103 µg/100g)
– Steamed Sole (103 µg/100g)
– Tuna (97,1 µg/100g)
Things to know!
The selenium with the best bioavailability is in the form of L-selenomethionine. It is a selenium linked to an essential amino acid (methionine): this association allows to obtain an organic selenium. The bioavailability of this form of selenium is 1.5 to 2 times higher than inorganic selenium. Also, the selenomethionine form has a longer life span in the body.